Wednesday, May 20, 2009

So What is it...

I had mentioned in my last entry that I had somethings in the works. Well as is turns out those things never worked out. I was a finalist for the Dean of Students job here at the College. I didn't get that job, which would have been a great opportunity for me and a real nice pay raise. I really thought that I had a good shot at the job and thought that I would do a great job as the Dean of Students. I had high hopes for that. When that didn't work out I had applied for a head coaching job at a Christian College near Chicago. It would have been a great fit for me both spiritually and professionally. That too did not work out. They gave the job to the assistant coach. I had looked at some other spots as well that never really developed.

So in my mind it begged the question...What is it I am supposed to be doing?????? I am just at a very frustrating spot in my life. I want so much to be able to do more for my family. Both of the opportunities would have afforded me that. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful to have a job where I am at. Its just that I want to be able to provide for my family without having to rely on other people. I don't make enough money at the college to adequately provide for Aly and Brooks. If not for being able to "babysit" the house we are in we would probably have to live at one of our parents houses and that freaks me out. As it is, we can barely afford to live for "free" in the house we are living now. I have got to believe that I am worth more than what I am currently making. So I ask myself...Am I in the wrong profession? Should I be doing something else? Am I supposed to be happy with just getting by?

I feel like I have been patient. I feel like I haven't gone after unrealistic opportunities. I have to believe that I am not being unrealistic when I think that I can do better for my family. I just feel like where I am now doesn't give me that opportunity. I do love the college and its mission and I am grateful to have a job here, but to be honest I would barely be able to survive when Aly runs out of unemployment.

So I will continue to ask What is it??????????????

6 comments:

Clint said...

I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4: 12-13

Let me know if you accomplish this, I could use some pointers.

Anonymous said...

WOW! thanks xoxoxoxolove mom
I don't think the writer Paul ever had children or a wife (not sure though)??? I wonder if he would have said that with a family??? It is really good stuff, I know God has a answer for all our questions and all our desires and hopes and dreams... I pray your prayers will be answered Brian...

Anonymous said...

Ditto from me too Brian.....something is out there for you....just keep the faith and keep searching! God reveals things to you in his time and his way. Will keep praying that something will come your way.
Remember that a lot of people love you and pray for you each day.
Mom Chez

Candy said...

A lot of people really do love you and now I know better how to pray for you. Sorry it took a week or so to pull you up and find out what's going on. I have no "answers" for you. Only love. You and that amazing family are precious to me.

Anonymous said...

Brian, just saying all those things is an awesome example of living in Christ. Your life is open to the possibilities that God has waiting for you. I pray that in revealing those to you, your heart remains open wide to where He will lead you!
Julie Boyd

Brian Thrift said...

Clint you're awesome. Mom you're the best, I love you. Mom Chez I couldn't ask for a better mother-in-law, you're the best! Candy thanks for your prayers...they are felt and appreciated. Julie thanks for the encouragement.

Quick Update

Just a quick update on Alyson's progress. She completed her chemotherapy on Nov. 12. She did remarkably well. The cold cap did its job a...